Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.
Meet the Staff Home Community Magazine Shopping Resources Contact Us
Motorcycle Consumer News
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Motorcycle Consumer News » General Motorcycle Discussions » Dyna Beads

12345»»»

Dyna Beads Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:18:56 PM
As I bought a No-mar tire changer and do some tires on the side to help with the $1,400 cost of the pro model I bought, I have had a few customers ask why I do not use the beads.

For one they are not cheap, not for the little money I charge
So that is what I always told people. I think I will copy the letter & response to this reader and just point it out if I am ever asked again.

They just seemed pretty hoaxy to me.

Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: www.rmariders.org
Post #37798
Posted 1/16/2010 3:05:26 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 10/23/2013 2:56:51 PM
Were the former name for these Ben Wa?

Torqueman
Battle Creek, MI
Goldwing 03
Post #37800
Posted 1/16/2010 5:13:35 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:35:16 AM
Currently, I am testing Dynabeads for myself. So far, my results are:

1- The tire seems to run with no decernable balance problems. The bike feels as smooth as a regularly balanced tire. MCN reported that the tire seemed to be sluggish and wooden until spun up to speed. The MCN tester must be a lot more sensitive to this stuff than I am.

2- The Dynabead manufacturer 'claims' longer tire mileage. This is my main testing concern. IF the beads really do give usefully longer mileage, you better believe that I will be sticking with the product.

3- Tread wear (rear) shows 'normal' so far. Rear tires usually do not cup like front tires. The tread is wearing down evenly with no signs of wheel hop or any other anomally. 

Now for the fun part.

The bike is shod with Conti Road Attacks on an 05 Tri Sprint ST. The front tire is balanced with weight in the time honored and time tested manner. I thought that if only one tire had the Beads then balance problems would show up right away and could be immediately isolated to the one tire. The rear wheel was chosen for the beads because it is a single-sided swing arm and has a non-symetrical hub. I do not as yet have the special conical wheel balancing spacer required for conventional balancing. 2.5 oz of beads were installed in this tire as that was the best figure obtainable to assure enough weight to be effective.

As noted in previous posts, this bike is my 'only' and commutes, was loaded and ridden to the Smokies for a bunch of mountain twisties, and is taken to the track. My co-rider reported a buzz in the left passenger peg. The source of the buzz has yet to be traced. My operator's pegs feel rock solid and just fine. The buzz was not felt in the seat or anywhere else. Thus, who knows for the moment?

I figure that these tires will be good til mid summer 2010. If I can locate a suitable tire when these are shot, I may go to the Darkside then.

nobody rides half as well as they know how.

Post #37801
Posted 1/16/2010 5:33:49 PM
Advanced Member

I might as well note that I have put these Beads in another set of tires for a short time. The original installation was done thru the valve stem. I had no trouble doing this. The beads were loaded into a squeeze bottle with a bit of plastic tubing from the bottle spout to the valve stem. Upending the bottle and gently pulsating squeezing had the beads pour into the tire in quick fashion. The wheels had been conventionally balanced prior to bead insertion to determine that I had enough bead weight at hand for each wheel. I did not want to be short on weight and did not want to waste beads by going overweight if I didn't need to. Being a little overweight on Beads is not an issue. No balance problems were noted with this short term usage.

I had reason to dismount these tires and salvage the beads for my current application. The Beads are easily salvagable if you are not as ham-fisted as me. I dropped a bunch and only had enough remaining for one tire. Thus, only the rear wheel on my bike has Beads.

Yes. This is hardly definitive proof of anything. Yet, I trust the dear reader to understand that I can be in error but am not lying. YMMV

Post #37802
Posted 1/16/2010 8:37:34 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/15/2012 1:13:17 PM
Wow, good stuff Fran.

Like modette, I have/had my doubts about them. Definitely, definitely keep me/us posted of any developments.

Minivans. Why is it ALWAYS the minivans?

Post #37803
Posted 1/17/2010 12:49:14 AM
Advanced Member

deadman (1/16/2010)
Wow, good stuff Fran.

Like modette, I have/had my doubts about them. Definitely, definitely keep me/us posted of any developments.

Right at this moment, I will say (insert your favorite disclaimer here) that the Beads seem to do the balancing part of the job asssoooming that you have enough beads in the tire for the required weight. Thus, I recommend the normal balancing routine to make sure that the needed weight is there. A biker could home balance his tire and get very close to the weight and then add 1/4 oz to the figure and install that much bead weight. If my wheel had rim locks or other serious balance problems requiring a lot of balance weight, I would be using the time honored lead instead of beads. Same for wheels on an LSR, or other specialty, bike where one would want to be assured of having absolute control of the bike.

So far, nothing bad has happened to me due to using the beads. My seat-of-pants tells me that the beads are acceptable for street bikes traveling at real world speeds. Figure that I don't live in Nevada and am not constantly hovering in the triple digits of my speedo but have no special concerns when occasionally visiting that speed spectrum.

When I dismounted the tires to recover the beads, there was no evidence that the beads were causing any problems on the inside of the tire or wheel. Yet, it was obvious that the beads were moving around on the inside surface of the tire as the finish looked to be dulled in the center inch or so of the tire. The rest of the inside of the tire carcass had the factory mold slick looking finish by contrast. This contrast was so light as to not give me pause to re-think what I was doing.

Right at the moment, my best guess is that the beads are not better/worse than conventional lead. IF the tire mileage is not significantly extended, I will probably return to regular lead mostly because that is what I have laying about in abundance. If the beads turn out to be great, I will buy a stock pile so that I can drop some when salvaging them and have more at hand if I need a bit.

So far, the only real downside of the beads is being sure that there is enough bead weight in the tire to do the job. Thus, I don't see how that can be reliably determined without balancing the wheel as per usual with lead? I have seen harley wheels require 4+ oz of weight on occasion with another harley wheel of the same type needing less than 2 oz to do the job. Following the beads manufacturer's guide for how much weight to apply seems like a poor idea to me. The manufacturer gives no 'fudge factor' to the beads. So, I use the measured weight from my balancing plus a 'pinch' extra for what, good luck? The upside to all of this is that I don't worry about the all too critical weight placement with the beads as long as I figure that there is enough weight to get the job done. The real leap of faith is believing that the beads move to the needed place to achieve balance. It gets a little murky right there for me. But most of my life is a little murky. So what is a little more murkiness to me?

Post #37805
Posted 1/17/2010 8:29:24 AM

Last Login: Today @ 3:46:13 AM
While my motorcycle tires are still balanced the "conventional" way...my motorhomes' tires were balanced with 'beads"...a products called "Equal".

Wondering just what the hell he thru in my 1/2 mounted tire...he told me this: this is a balancing product called Equal. It's in a bag...each wheel/tire gets one bag. For the first 5 miles or so, you will get vibration until the bag breaks...and the beads find their "location". After that...smooth sailing. If you don't like it...c'mon back, I'll extract the beads and balance the tires the usual way...lead weights.  So far (3 years) they seem to work just fine. However..when using these beads, the tire valve must be changed...the correct valve has a "screen" built in to prevent the beads from coming out during an air pressure check.  My valves have a yellow stripe on them.

So, for a motorhome application they work just fine...a motorcycle application? Don't know. I'd be cautious..and let someone else do the "experimenting".

Just my 2 or 3 cents here........

Post #37807
Posted 1/17/2010 9:30:00 AM
Advanced Member

JJ

Any observations on extended tire life due to the product?

Post #37809
Posted 1/17/2010 10:03:26 AM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:18:56 PM
I would like to note the tires I have changed are so close to being balanced, probably due to the almost perfect manufacturing process today that it comes down to how well your rim was manufactured.

I have had it where I add no weights to some peoples bikes, as they seem to be perfect. So even adding 'beads' to these would do nothing.

Also it seems most people get a weight or two, nothing drastic. Probably most people would not be at speeds to notice the slight unbalanced wheel.

Common sense about the companies claim that they extend tire life seems to me that it is because a drastically out of balance tire can wear quicker...so even lead weight manufactures can claim the extended tire life bit. Beads in your tire in itself do not extend tire life.

I still find tire beads gimmicky myself. And the cost to add them to someones bike is too much. I know you can say, well you can reuse them, I guess that is true assuming the dude comes back to me...which is not a given. Then again there be the added cost of me picking out the beads after a tire dismount. Or I could see them falling out and being on the garage floor...great just what I want.

I have never had a lead weight fall off my motorcycle. I guess if your worried about the looks of your rims, but man who cares it comes down to riding not whether you have a wheel weight on the rim or not.

Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: www.rmariders.org
Post #37810
Posted 1/17/2010 1:32:38 PM

Last Login: 1/15/2012 1:13:17 PM
I hear where you're coming from, and yeah it's usually not alot of weight -if you have the whell/tire oriented correctly.

That said, I've never been happy(and neither have my customers) about sticking/clamping a weight on a $1000 custom wheel. If it works, it works. I'd rather have the option to sell a customer what they want, than have to say "I dunno" or pooh-pooh it when they ask about them.

Minivans. Why is it ALWAYS the minivans?

Post #37813
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: torqueman, Animal Network Admin, feathersnfuz, MCN Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:20am

HOME | COMMUNITY | ABOUT MCN | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US
Motorcycle Consumer News' Website serves as an example of the kind of material to be found in the published version of MCN, but does not and will not ever carry all of the content provided within the published version. Feel free to use and enjoy the information provided here, but remember it is only a small sampling of the information provided to our subscribers.
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., MCN nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads.
Copyright ©2005 BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your Cailfornia Privacy Rights. Terms of Use Guidelines for Participation
Current Issue Resources Survey Most Recent Photos Active Forum Topics MCN logo