Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.
Meet the Staff Home Community Magazine Shopping Resources Contact Us
Motorcycle Consumer News
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Motorcycle Consumer News » Product Reviews and Gadget Discussions » Seat Comparison - Mustang vs Ultimate

Seat Comparison - Mustang vs Ultimate Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/29/2008 5:53:17 PM

As my name indicates, I'm a new rider.  I'm interested in getting a new seat and am considering the Mustang and Ultimate.  Is there a published comparison of the seat anywhere?  Also, I would like to hear from those who ride in one of these seats and what you like and don't like about the seat.  Thanks!!

Post #30527
Posted 5/2/2008 5:57:45 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/1/2009 5:48:49 AM
I have a Mustang seat on the Honda Valkyrie I bought used a few years ago.  It's fine; I like it better with the merino wool seat cover from Aerostich.

BEWARE relying on published reports about items that purport to discuss ergonomic issues that can be highly individual.  How do you sit?  How tall are you?  How much padding do you have in the hindquarters?  Are you high or low waisted?  How long are your legs?  Do you prefer firm support or luxurious wallowing?

Published reports can give you construction details but cannot tell you how comfortable a particular seat might be.  You'll just have to try it and hope.

Post #30528
Posted 5/2/2008 8:29:27 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/15/2012 1:13:17 PM
I've had the same Mustang seat on my current ride since 1995(?).

Love it. Soft, comfy, and still looks great...and I'm not one to slather it with leather conditioner all the time.

Minivans. Why is it ALWAYS the minivans?

Post #30529
Posted 5/2/2008 10:25:59 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: Today @ 2:16:55 AM
On the flip side....my stock H-D seat (pillow style with a passenger backrest) fits our needs perfectly. Comfy...no maintainance and has been doing fine for us since 1992.  An all day touring seat. 2 up.

Now, we have friends that ride with us who are "into" these aftermarket seats.  It's a jungle out there. Seats are sometimes not acceptable for both...other times, great for the rider...agony for the passenger.  And sometimes, the other way around. And then sometimes just right.

Whatever you choose....good luck.

Post #30530
Posted 9/15/2008 12:26:40 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/16/2008 4:04:02 PM
I have a Honda Valkyrie and have had the Ultimate for five years and like them.  I have a short inseam so chose the Ultimate since they offer three seat hights for my Valkyrie.
Post #32560
Posted 9/29/2008 5:54:47 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 9/29/2008 5:53:17 PM
Well I bit the bullet and bought the Ultimate seat.  No regrets, it was costly but is the most comfortable seat I have found.  It was probably worth the money.  Thanks for all that replied.
Post #32698
Posted 10/1/2008 11:38:53 AM

Last Login: 3/3/2014 8:40:27 AM
It's a tough decision to put out big bucks for a seat that you may or may not like. The stock seat on my 30 year old Goldwing was so harsh I would rather have been subjected to water boarding at Guantanamo than ride more than 25 minutes on it.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Corbin seat. I fully anticipated it being worse than the stock seat so I had a whole list of cuss words ready to use if it was. It wasn't. In fact, it is so comfortable I never felt any discomfort no matter how long I was on the bike.

I have talked to a few riders who don't like Corbin seats and I guess a seat is a very subjective thing. I lucked out.

Now, let me get this right - is it one down, four up?
Post #32710
Posted 12/25/2008 2:43:41 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 12/25/2008 3:30:09 PM

You know there is somthing about motorcycle seats that I just do not understand at all. Every manunufacturer is trying to make them ,well at least the touring bikes, more comfortable but nobody puts any suspension in the seat itself. Well I think some of the police bikes do, which should be enough said right there. They have to sit on those things all day long.
My wife and I are getting older . We have a 1975 goldwing, (don't laugh it will outrun most of the newer bikes and is just as dependable.) We were starting to spend a lot of time at the chiropractores office from some of the spine jarring bumps we would hit These old goldwings didn't have very good suspension anyway.
So I put a hinge on the front of my touring seat, springs in the rear and added a heavy duty shock asorber.
No more back aches. No more chiropractors. You can hit the biggest potholes, the roughest railroad tracks and my bike might be doing the buggaloo but me and my wife just kind of float right over everything. Come on you manufacturers lets get with it. Motorcycles can be made much more comfortable than they are presently!!
I could hardly get her to go ridding with me anymore but now shes always bugging me to go ridding. Life is good!!

dennis
Post #33613
Posted 12/25/2008 7:19:58 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:44:54 AM
Since you already bought a seat this probably isn't of much value, but here goes anyway.

I've had quite a few aftermarket seats, Corbin, Mustang, Travelcade and a couple of reworks from Sargent Seats.

The Corbins varied a lot in density of foam, probably because they use a gun to blowl the foam onto molds.  The daily operator adjusts the gun for the proper air mix and goes at it.  Consequently, Corbin seats vary a bit, some being rock hard, others softer, but usually comfortable.

Sargent redoes your stock seat, and while the workmanship is top rate, the results vary because you're telling them what to do.  That allows some variance in comfort as you might be stressing looks vs. comfort and they'll do what you ask.  I gave away two Sargent offerings as they were worse than the stock seat, but the second owner loved it!

Mustang seems the best compromise that I've tried.  I have one on my Suzuki Boulevard M50 and am thrilled with the comfort.  Made a 4700 mile trip from MN to Nova Scotia in August and realized several days into the trip that I wasn't thinking of the seat at all -- a great endorsement of comfort in my opinion.  I rode both with and without a sheepskin, depending on temperature, and it was comfortable both ways.  Since the rear pillion portion was quite high I left it off to allow me to get my arthritic leg over the seat back bag I stowed there. 

Travelcade seats sometimes have s split between the rider's and passenger's portions.  I found that it pinched me, enough to notice and be objectionable.  Fortunately I was able to return the seat to Dennis Kirk immediately for full credit.  If bought on line I doubt that would be possible.

I doubt you can say anyone's seat is the best for everyone, there's just too much left up to individual comfort.  If you're lucky you might find a bike/seat combination you like, maybe even asking the owner to allow you a "sit" or two on the thing.  Sometimes you'll find a bike for sale that has an aftermarket seat, a great chance to "try it out", especially if you can arrange a test ride.  Personally I've done that but I've been honest with the seller, sometimes offering a ten bucks for the test ride.

Happy riding with whatever you choose.  I can recommend a sheepskin though, better ventilation in hot weather and better warmth on cold rides.

Ray Nielsen, in Minneapolis and done shoveling for a while!

Gonpher Coughie.

Post #33615
Posted 12/25/2008 9:35:14 AM

Last Login: 4/14/2014 6:55:12 AM
Now that you have your new seat, you might try one more trick to enhance your riding pleasure. I have been wearing bicycle shorts under my riding gear for some time now and I'm amazed at the increased comfort on long rides. I have a Rick Meyer seat on my R1100RT and love it. The addition of the padded bicycle shorts make it even better. YMMV.

DEDSLED

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not all out to get you."

Post #33616
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: torqueman, Animal Network Admin, feathersnfuz, MCN Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:57pm

HOME | COMMUNITY | ABOUT MCN | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US
Motorcycle Consumer News' Website serves as an example of the kind of material to be found in the published version of MCN, but does not and will not ever carry all of the content provided within the published version. Feel free to use and enjoy the information provided here, but remember it is only a small sampling of the information provided to our subscribers.
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., MCN nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads.
Copyright ©2005 BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your Cailfornia Privacy Rights. Terms of Use Guidelines for Participation
Current Issue Resources Survey Most Recent Photos Active Forum Topics MCN logo