Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.
Meet the Staff Home Community Magazine Shopping Resources Contact Us
Motorcycle Consumer News
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Motorcycle Consumer News » Three-Wheelers Corner » VW trikes

««123»»

VW trikes Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/2/2008 7:52:01 AM
hi there its nice to see alot of people still involved in VW trikes. when i was a kid my family knew ed roth and others that built rat trikes and stires trikes. well when stires stoped building his and passed we cant find anymore bodys. well long story short me and the family are building them now if anyone wants one built get back to me ill send pictures of them.

i see you
Post #32721
Posted 10/2/2008 4:20:23 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 3/31/2013 5:28:38 PM
The advantage of the bug over a more modern front wheel drive assembly is the suspension on the bug is more or less self-contained at the floorpan where the torsion bars spring the trailing arms. Still, that suspension with a water-cooled japanese engine (like an A1200 from an old Datsun B210) would be a sweet combination requiring MUCH less maintenance than old beetle engines.

I was always amused by folks saying how easy it was to pull the engine out. I like knowing how to work on stuff, but I prefer not having to, and those old bug engines required a handy store of coat hangers, epoxy, duct tape, and feeler gauges to keep on the road. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven when I retired my old vws for water-cooled datsuns.

How do you keep the front end of a vw trike on the ground?

Jack

We are like stripes in a tube of toothpaste.
Post #32726
Posted 10/3/2008 8:34:17 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:39:22 PM
One of the best features of the VW type I trans-axle is that it can be used forward or backward, upside down or right side up.  I know of at least one company that can make an adaptor to attach almost any popular engine--and the stock trans-axle will take up to 200 HP.  You can also add a 5th gear if you like....

If the engine you want happens to run the wrong direction, just flip the ring gear carrier over in the gear box and you are good to go....

Post #32745
Posted 11/6/2008 10:17:08 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 5/29/2009 9:37:55 AM
Yes, i've built 5 VW Trikes so far. 3 for me, and two for others.

It's not just a trike, it's a way of life...
Post #33164
Posted 12/14/2008 8:27:38 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 12/19/2008 6:24:34 PM
i've found trike bodies and building info on the net.i've also been able to find used motors on carparts.com  I use this part locator for alot of diff parts new and old. good luck
Post #33516
Posted 12/15/2008 4:13:37 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: Today @ 2:05:54 AM
There's nothing I can add to this topic...I don't have a trike...but I think it astounding that this thread has 17,855 "views"....but only 14 "replies".  Well, make that 17,856 and 15!

Post #33518
Posted 1/7/2009 4:55:39 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 1/7/2009 4:48:17 AM
HI iam starting to build a vw trike. iam in the middle of getting the engion working and will be starting on the frame soon. i was wondering if anyone would know measurements or angles or really any info on the kind of steel to use, or what would be the best front end (bike) to use as i dont know much about bikes. ??

any help would be great!!
thanks

love vw's
Post #33791
Posted 1/7/2009 4:57:18 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 1/7/2009 4:48:17 AM
HI iam starting to build a vw trike. iam in the middle of getting the engion working and will be starting on the frame soon. i was wondering if anyone would know measurements or angles or really any info on the kind of steel to use, or what would be the best front end (bike) to use as i dont know much about bikes. ??

any help would be great!!
thanks

love vw's
Post #33792
Posted 1/27/2009 9:39:07 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 1/27/2009 10:19:43 PM
Hi,I have built a VW trike over the last year.Bought a whole car that was a runner(1500/1970.Also bought a Honda Shadow VT1100 for the front end.Joined the two together with inch & a quarter seamless steam pipe.It has 2 single seats then a double on a frame over the gearbox.Have really surprised myself.I turn 60 in 2 mths and survived cancer 6 years ago now,so don't let anybody say it can't be done.I am in the throws of getting it certified,then will get to enjoy.My mate who helped me, says its the best he has ridden.I am in NZ.
Post #34109
Posted 3/4/2009 5:09:45 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 10/8/2009 10:50:26 PM
a vws r all I work on. But I need some help Iam fining up putting together a 73 Ed Roth VW trike . I need to find a speedo head for it .THe thing I am having trouble with is, the front wheel speedo head goes left handed & the speedo gages goes right handed. I need to find a left handed speedo gages. Can anyone help.
Post #34654
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««123»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: torqueman, Animal Network Admin, feathersnfuz, MCN Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:28am

HOME | COMMUNITY | ABOUT MCN | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US
Motorcycle Consumer News' Website serves as an example of the kind of material to be found in the published version of MCN, but does not and will not ever carry all of the content provided within the published version. Feel free to use and enjoy the information provided here, but remember it is only a small sampling of the information provided to our subscribers.
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., MCN nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads.
Copyright ©2005 BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your Cailfornia Privacy Rights. Terms of Use Guidelines for Participation
Current Issue Resources Survey Most Recent Photos Active Forum Topics MCN logo